Sunday, 19 January 2014

A Solution to Spicy Thai

Last night, my husband Ben and I were lucky enough to attend a Thai Street Food cooking class (all thanks to our good friends Jon and Kate).  Now, we both love Asian food and were especially excited that we would get to sample all the food at the end of the class.  Our one dilemma:  how to determine a suitable BYO wine that could stand up to the spiciness.

I recently watched an entertaining video on one of my favourite wine websites, Wine Folly, which addressed the myths of which alcohols match spicy food (watch it at: http://winefolly.com/tutorial/what-wine-with-spicy-food/).  The outcome was that you definitely need something with some sweetness to it, to cut through the spice.  We decided to take the advice and selected an off-dry riesling (as riesling is one of my favourite grape varieties).

The Food:
Papaya Salad Ingredients
  • Thai Papaya Salad
  • Pad Thai
  • Pineapple Fried Rice
  • Beef and Holy Basil
  • Thai Pork Balls
  • Son in Law Eggs
  • Black Glutinous Rice with Caramelised Banana

The Wine:

Plan B 2013 Riesling 'OD' from Frankland River, WA
('OD' stands for 'Off-Dry')
I'm not usually a fan of sweeter whites, however this had just enough of the crisp, zingy lemon/lime hit of a riesling to balance out the sweeter peachy flavours.

I loved the description on the label:  Serious at the front but there's a party going on out the back!



Our final verdict? Glad we trusted my research, the match was perfect and we will definitely be cooking up these Thai dishes again and again.