Monday, 17 February 2014

Riesling Challenge

Over the weekend, my husband and I attended the Vintage Cellars Annual Riesling Challenge, held at their Shenton Park store.  Upon arrival at this informal event, we received a glass and faced 26 different bottles of riesling, masked by numbered brown paper bags.

We were provided with a list of the 26 wines that were on offer, and the challenge was to do our best to correctly identify each one.  Now, I thought I had a pretty good grasp on the characteristic riesling styles within Australia's primary riesling producing regions, namely Clare Valley, Eden Valley and Frankland River.  However, there were multiple wines from each of these regions, alongside some from as far afield as Tasmania, New Zealand and Germany. 

For those of you who are turning up your noses at even the thought of drinking riesling, this tasting opened by eyes to just how varied riesling styles can be, within Australia and  internationally.  I honestly identified and enjoyed something different with every glass that passed my lips during the tasting.  With prices ranging from $14.99 all the way up to $84.44, and the average price being a reasonable $27.00, there really was a riesling for every taste and budget (even my husband, who claims he does not enjoy riesling, found  a few that he liked).  


enjoying my wine, and the challenge
I guess you are wondering how many I actually identified correctly... 

2 out of 26!!

(Although, I did console myself in the fact that there were quite a few wines where I had identified the correct region - just not the right winery)