Tuesday, 25 February 2014

Wine Tasting Evening

On Saturday evening, I hosted a wine tasting at my house for the vintage crew. I was a bit unsure how it would go, as those attending covered a wide range of experience and interest levels in wine.

The theme was simple: bring a bottle of your favourite grape variety and it must be under $30. Interestingly enough, out of the seven wines that we tasted, 6 were reds! 

I had made up a tasting sheet for everyone where they had to record what they thought the grape variety was for each unidentified bottle (concealed in a brown paper bag) and also guess who had brought the wine along.

ready to try the wines
Everyone enjoyed the evening and really put some effort into guessing the grape varieties.  I think the most enjoyable aspect was seeing people discover they liked aspects of a wine style that they would not otherwise have tried.  It was also great to teach people a little more about some typical characteristics of Australian wine styles, such as the boldness of Barossa Shiraz and the eucalyptus hints often discernible in Margaret River Cabernet Sauvignon.

Next time I hold a wine tasting night, I think I will make the theme either a particular region or a particular wine style, for a different comparison and experience.