Wednesday, 5 March 2014

Adjusting to Night Shift

Week seven of Vintage 2014 sees me starting my first round of full 12 hour night shifts. I have worked nights before, so I wasn't too phased by the prospect, but I was interested to see how I would go with the distraction of being in my own house during the day (rather than in a demountable on a mine site with nothing to do but sleep anyway). 

My first night shift did not get off to a good start. I rode my bike to the train station and patiently waited for the train (which was late), only to discover that there was no chance I would be able to squeeze on between all the city commuters, let alone fit my bike on as well!  So I had no choice but to jump back on my bike and cycle as fast as possible back home, then drive to work.  Needless to say, I only just arrived in time for start of shift!

Luckily, the rest of the shift was fairly smooth sailing.  We have a full schedule of grapes this week, meaning that the yeast area is a constant hive of activity and this is a great way to keep busy, which is exactly what works best to keep my eyes open on the first night shift.