Tuesday, 25 March 2014

Filling Barrels

I have mentioned on several occasions that there is some kind of innate enjoyment associated with working with oak barrels. I still can't quite put my finger on it, but I suspect it has to do with the beautiful aromas exuding from the wood and the knowledge of the final product you are preparing.

Since we started onto premium red production, I have had the privilege of filling barrels (rather than emptying them, as previously). Although not a particularly complicated task, I did find that height plays a critical role in how successful a person us at this job.

Unfortunately for me, being short, I found it quite difficult to get my eyes at a good angle to be able to see directly into the barrel through the small bung hole to determine the wine level as the barrel filled. This was only made more difficult when the work continued into the evening, so I was trying to juggle the filling spear and a torch, whilst standing on tiptoe. 

Let's just say: further practice required for this rookie!

filling oak barrels