Thursday, 17 April 2014

30 Wines in 30 Days - DAY 15

Whilst at home in Toowoomba for Easter, I thought it would be a good opportunity to try some local wines. Preston Peak Winery is located on the outskirts of Toowoomba and produces quite a large range of wines, with grapes primarily sourced from the Granite Belt region.  The cellar door and cafe are set atop an outcrop which provides stunning views to the surrounding valleys.  
View from Preston Peak Winery
Upon arrival at the cellar door with my family, I noted that there were quite a range of wine styles on offer, and was especially interested to find some uncommon grape varieties such as Mataro and Sagrantino.  Unfortunately, my excitement waned with the long wait we experienced prior to any service and when I discovered that the free tastings at the bar were primarily sweet wines from their Wildflower label.

An Enomatic Wine Tasting System was in use for the flagship label wines.  This involved purchasing a tasting card and then selecting each wine as you wanted to try it.  You could select a tasting size ($1), half glass (all around $4) or a full glass (all around $8). Unfortunately, although most of the reds exhibited fresh fruit and spicy aromas, none had any length or significant body on the palate.  Disappointingly, two of the wines that I tried were affected by vinegar taint.

The redeeming wine was the 2010 Gewurztraminer, which was beautifully aromatic, displaying rosewater and lavender notes which followed through to delicate stone fruit flavours dancing across my tongue.  I decided I would have a glass of this with my lunch, but unfortunately the Enomatic Wine Tasting System would not provide a full glass, so I had to settle for a half glass.

Despite being unable to find some wines to take home, we did enjoy a relaxing lunch in the picturesque surroundings.

Preston Peak Winery Cellar Door