Friday, 18 April 2014

30 Wines in 30 Days - DAY 16

My challenge for today was to find a wine from my parent's cellar that would match the Thai Green Curry that I was cooking for dinner.  Finding a wine to match a curry is often a difficult proposition, but I was erring on the milder side, to keep everyone happy.  With the coconut cream and eggplant components to mellow things out, I thought it might be worth giving a fruit-forward Chardonnay a try. 

I ended up with two wines to choose from, and selected the Iron Hill 2013 Chardonnay.  The Iron Hill range are named in honour of wine industry pioneer William Salter, who established his first vineyard at the base of Iron Hill.  Considering the wine is in the under $10 category, with the fruit source being undisclosed, I thought the result was quite acceptable.

On top of that, the soft fruit flavours complemented the fragrance of the dish, whilst the acidity level was enough to counteract the coconut cream.