Sunday, 20 April 2014

30 Wines in 30 Days - DAY 18


My brother was working at a bottle shop last year and had been particularly pleased with himself when he managed to secure a Cabernet Sauvignon with a shelf price of $60 for $15.  At the time, he had contacted me to find out whether he had, in fact, scored a bargain or not.  I had never heard of Punters Corner, but I did advise him that Coonawarra was a region that is renowned for producing world class Cabernet Sauvignon.

The wine in question was the Punters Corner 'Sovereign' 2009 Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon.  After conducting some further research, I discovered that Punters Corner had, in fact, won the Jimmy Watson trophy in 2000 for their 'Spartacus' Shiraz. In regards to the 'Sovereign' series, these wines are produced from the best Cabernet Sauvignon parcels of their Coonawarra vineyards.

Easter dinner seemed like a good enough celebration to try out my brother's bargain.  I had prepared a meal of slow-cooked lamb shoulder with roasted Mediterranean vegetables.  The food/wine match was spot on, due to the finely structured tannins in the wine, which enhanced the delicate, melt-in-your-mouth meat.  The acidity level also complemented the crisp capsicum and red onion in the roast vegetable medley.  I probably would not have paid $60 for the wine, but I definitely think it was undervalued at $15.

Unfortunately, I was not quick enough to get a photo of our dinner.  This was all that was left...
hungry brothers