Monday, 21 April 2014

30 Wines in 30 Days - DAY 19

My brother has lived in Hobart for the past four years and I have had the opportunity to visit him a number of times over this period.  On each visit, I have always managed to drop in to a few cellar doors to try the local wines.  Due to the outstanding quality of Tasmanian wine, this has usually resulted in a struggle to limit my choice to only one or two bottles to take back home with me.

gift from my brother in Tasmania

It was a nice gesture of my brother to bring me home a bottle of Tasmanian Riesling at Easter.  I always enjoy sharing a bottle of wine with the gift-giver if possible, so decided to open it whilst we were both home.  My brother had enjoyed the visit to the Observatory Hill Vineyard, which is only 10 minutes out of Hobart on the way to the Coal River Valley.  The winery is appointment only and he told me that he ended up just relaxing on the verandah with the owners and enjoying a few glasses of wine with some of his friends.


The Observatory Hill Vintner's Reserve Riesling 2010 is Tasmania in a glass.  Cool, crisp and with a slight bite at the edges, just like their weather.  The wine has developed a straw-yellow colour with age and yeast flavours hiding below lemon/lime acidity.  I would suggest the wine could last at least another five years and my brother my brother was talking about going back to Observatory Hill Vineyard to grab a few more bottles!