Tuesday, 22 April 2014

30 Wines in 30 Days - DAY 20

I have an Aunt and Uncle who have played an important part in my developing a keen interest in wine and who started me on my journey to learn about different wine styles. Whilst I was studying at university, they would have me over for dinner and one of my fondest memories was when they opened a bottle of aged red. For the first time, I appreciated the luscious, silky-smooth texture and oaked aromas of a long lasting red.

Visiting my Aunt and Uncle yesterday, I knew that, as always, they would have an interesting wine that they were just waiting to share. This time, fittingly, it was a Pinot Grigio from the Veneto region (see my post on prosecco). We were having a simple meal of roast chicken and salad, and the wine in question was Torresella 2013 Pinot Grigio.

The crisp aroma and minerality of the style was perfect, both as an aperitif whilst we sat on the verandah and watched the beautiful autumn day draw to a close and also with the meal, where the fragrant, citrus flavours tied together the roasted white meat and greek salad.