Thursday, 24 April 2014

30 Wines in 30 Days - DAY 22

I would like to apologise in advance for the fact that my blog posts may not be as 'pretty' for the next week. I'm on holidays at Exmouth on the central coast of WA without my computer. So really, I'm not actually sorry, but I will still try my best to post each day to keep you up to date with my wine challenge.

We arrived into the humidity of Exmouth at 7.30am yesterday and could not check into our accommodation until 2pm, so had to make the most of the morning. We ended up trekking about 10km in our thongs, with a swim in the beautiful Indian Ocean to take the edge off the 35 degree heat. Of course all this exertion meant we were just crying out for a drink, so we stumbled in to a nearby bar all hot and sweaty.


Thank goodness they had a decent wine list (although predominantly WA wines). I ordered the Paul Conti 2011 Chardonnay. After my first sniff, I was slightly worried that my choice was probably not ideal for my parched situation - it was nutty, full of dense lees and I thought this would lead to a full-bodied, creamy vanilla flavour in my mouth. It was a pleasant surprise when the wine actually displayed a zingy acidity with fresh honeydew flavours and only an elegant undertone of the oak. I think I would enjoy this wine even more if put away for a few years.