Monday, 7 April 2014

30 Wines in 30 Days - DAY 6

With the Jimmy Watson trophy going to a Pinot Noir for the first time in 2013 (Yabby Lake's Block 1), there has been much hype about Australian Pinot.  I think this is great, as it is really an undiscovered wine style for many Australians.  The areas of Mornington Peninsula and Tasmania deserve the praise they are receiving as excellent Pinot regions, however I think that South Western Australia is missing out on some of the glory.  

To be honest, Pinot Noir has never been my red of choice, but I am trying to expand my view of this wine.  On a trip to the Great Southern Region last winter, I was pleasantly surprised to discover a suite of excellent Pinot Noirs (resulting in a significant drop in my bank balance that weekend)!  One of these was the Estate 807 Reserve 2010 Pinot Noir from Denmark. 

This wine was very approachable, with a lighter, slightly pink hue.  It was very aromatic, causing me to conjure up images of a lovely baked raspberry pie.  This 'baked fruit' sensation continued on the palate and was matched with a slight hint of sweetness.  I would recommend this fresh and vibrant wine to match with a spicy meat dish.