Wednesday, 9 April 2014

30 Wines in 30 Days - DAY 8

Yesterday I wanted a casual, easy-going wine to drink, but I also wanted something that would get me in the mood for an exciting Champagne tasting event I am attending tonight (watch my blog tomorrow to hear all about the experience). 

My drink of choice was Spain's answer to French Champagne - Cava.  This wine style is known to be much simpler and leans on the crisp side, as opposed to the creamier Champagne.  

The Segura Viudas Brut Vintage Cava that I enjoyed is a well-known Spanish export, and I just happened to have turned up at the bar during happy hour, so the glass only cost me $5, with a free bowl of nuts as well - bargain!  This classic, reliable Cava exhibits light honeysuckle and melon notes with a cider-like 'pop' as the spritz hits you.  It is a perfect palate cleanser prior to any meal, but especially as an aperitif before tucking into some Spanish tapas.