Saturday, 26 April 2014

30 Wines in 30 Days - DAY 24

My next adventure at Exmouth was diving the Navy Pier. This dive is rated very highly on an international scale, and it definitely lived up to expectations. We saw so many octopus, lionfish, reef sharks, wobbegong and other underwater species that I lost count. Plus, I managed to give a 1.8m grouper a tickle under the chin! 

When we arrived back at our hotel all wet and parched, we found that our BYO dinner booking had been cancelled. The only remaining option was a pub feed, so I had to make do with the pub wine list, which was actually not too bad, considering.

I noticed there were a few wines from the Devil's Corner range on offer and I had never tried this label from Brown Brothers' Tasmanian Vineyards, so I thought I would give them a whirl. I started with the NV Sparkling (Pinot and Chardonnay), which was an unpretentious bubbly with a sweet cherry twist. I found it slightly tart but fairly refreshing.  Next, I moved into the 2012 Pinot Grigio which was another straightforward drop. Without any hints of  oiliness, those who prefer a fresher wine of this style with steely acidity would enjoy this as a casual afternoon drink.

Finally, with my meal of Crispy-Skinned duck with Asian Salad I had a glass of the Devil's Corner 2012 Pinot Noir. I couldn't find much of the fruity fragrance I usually look for in a Pinot, but the peppery tannins and mouth-coating spiciness partly made up for this. It went well with what I would call one of the best pub feeds I have ever had. 

Thanks to Potshot Hotel for an enjoyable, albeit unplanned, evening of wining and dining.