Tuesday, 27 May 2014

A Bit of a Fizzle

To celebrate my husband arriving home from a stint at the mines and with my renewed enthusiasm for wines of the sparkling variety, I came up with a plan for a great BBQ dinner and matching sparkling red. 

The Wine: 
Duke's Vineyard 2010 Reserve Sparkling Shiraz

The Meal:
BBQ pork belly strips, BBQ royal gala apple slices, creamy mashed potato and rocket salad. 


 
The Outcome:
We were a little disappointed in how we found the wine to be drinking.  Both fruit and fizz were lacking and the overall flavour was slightly tart.  I had been very excited to try it, as we had bought it on a trip to the Great Southern almost a year ago.  My husband had taken me down there for the weekend as a surprise for my birthday (big tick for him!).  Duke's had thoroughly impressed us on this trip, both with the outstanding quality and individuality of all their wines and also with their beautiful cellar door and humble generosity.

I definitely do not want to discourage anyone from visiting Duke's Vineyard, in fact quite the opposite, I strongly suggest you drop in there if you are down near Albany.  I will definitely have to open another bottle from Duke's in the near future to see if I can do them justice with a better review next time!