Sunday, 18 May 2014

Shopping and Wine

This week, I started a new, but temporary, job in Perth's city centre.  The idea is that I will knuckle down for the next few months to raise some funds for my trip to Canada in September (the minimum wage in Canada is much lower than in Australia).  Working a 9-to-5 office job is very much a novelty for me, as I am used to wearing hi-vis and steelcaps and spending the majority of the day on my feet.  By the end of the week, I had realised that I really do not own much in the way of business attire.

What better way to rectify this situation than with a late night shopping outing on Friday after work.  As I am not the most patient of shoppers, I thought it would be a good idea to break up my shopping with a quick wine tasting. Swinney Vineyards were holding tastings at the East Perth Vintage Cellars and I was intrigued by this family-owned Frankland River winery that I had not previously encountered.  Plus, I have a soft spot for Frankland River riesling.

I was not disappointed.  

There were four wines on offer (in order of tasting):  

1. Tirra Lirra 2013 Riesling, Gewürztraminer, Pinot Gris  

Definitely a case of the whole being better than the sum of its parts.  This wine stayed true to the crisp minerality of its Riesling roots, but the Gewurztraminer added some beautiful spicy notes and I'm guessing it was the addition of Pinot Gris that really rounded out the body of the wine and added a silky, almost oily texture.

2. Riesling 2013

A little more colour to this wine than some of the other Frankland Rieslings I have had of late (not a bad thing).  The wine had that lovely Granny Smith Apple aroma that I can't get enough of in a Riesling.   

3. Tirra Lirra 2012 Tempranillo, Grenache, Cabernet Sauvignon. 

This was by far the most intriguing wine in the range, made from bush vines (vines that grow without trellising), which are quite uncommon in Western Australia.  Although I could definitely distinguish the typical savouriness of the Tempranillo and the juicy fruit of the Grenache, there was something different about this wine.  I loved the earthy character and the complex combination of spices.  

4. Shiraz 2012

Turns out that the grapes that go into this wine are from the Wilson's Pool Vineyard.  These grapes often make their way into a well-loved wine of mine: Houghton's C. W. Ferguson.  I found the wine to be quite savoury and very elegant, a great example of cool-climate Shiraz.


Loving the simple but classy label design - the wine speaks for itself!
Thanks to Janelle Swinney who patiently and professionally answered all my questions as I tasted the wines.  I ended up walking away with both of the Tirra Lirra wines and I look forward to attempting to match them with food at a later date. 

If you are interested to learn more about these wines from an up-and-coming Frankland River producer, check out their beautifully designed website here:  Swinney Vineyards

Oh yeah, and I did manage to purchase some business clothes that night as well.  Hopefully my choices were not adversely affected by my wine consumption...